Historic Residence in Marin County
Built in 1890 and located on a prominent corner site of a small town, this two-story bungalow was originally designed for a family to be used as a summer retreat. The family, residents of San Francisco, would cross the bay via ferry and then hop on trains transporting them to idyllic northern Bay Area escapes such as Muir Woods and Mt. Tamalpais.
Over the years, the original 1,700 square foot house had not changed much, despite even being a dental office at one time. The lot was subdivided as the town progressed and evolved into a bedroom community, literally taking shape around the house and property.
Requiring expanded living space, the current owners desired an addition to the house that would clearly separate and differentiate between old and new. The new 1,200 square foot, one-story addition maintains a low profile with a family room/dining room pavilion and a master bedroom suite pavilion connected to the original structure through lower flat-roofed connectors. These connectors illustrate their additive nature and allows for all historic windows and most of the existing siding to remain.
A further asset to the property is the flat lawn/garden in the front and a grove of heritage redwood trees in the rear. The new addition tiptoes around the giant trees in order to preserve and to protect the character of this very special site.
Photography: Jeff Zaruba